Saturday 12 November 2011

Journaling: An Experience in Time Travel

"Journaling is a voyage into the interior" - Christina Baldwin

“I write constantly, but only in my journals. I have three of them: one for travel, one for home, and one I write in before bed. But the last thing I want is other people reading it….. What’s really fun is reading your journal, like a year later, or even a month, and realizing how much you’ve changed."  - Cameron Diaz

photo http://testforelliot.blogspot.com/


I wrote journals before I even knew how to form the alphabet.  I remember filling tiny notebooks with line after line of scribbles.  Maybe they were just doodles, but it's fun to wonder if I was trying to sort out and communicate my thoughts even back then. Who knows?

Today I discovered a fabulous blog post about re-reading your journals and I was inspired to look back at some of my own.  (thank you for this piece!  i loved it!)
I recently re-discovered a diary that I wrote when I was 9 years old.  It is an incredible experinence to witness the musings of your childhood self.  I was taken aback by how much I am still....well... me.
then:  "Lee said that I could play with Hui if I wanted but just don't come back and try to play with her after.  Well I'm a little confused but I figure that if Lee likes me she will still want to be my friend . But if she doesn't that HER loss! Not mine!" 
now:  Wahaha! I'm still trying to  figure out friendships at times. (and I can still be a little stubborn and defiant...)
then:  "Well who knows? I'll just go with the flow and maybe it will end up in order."
now:  "Go with the flow" is the mantra I still use today. I had no idea this has been a near life long effort.
I think my 9 year old self would be happy with who we have become. 
How do you think your childhood self would see you? 



Resources:
       explores concept of the inner chiild
        helps get you started and keeps you going




No comments:

Post a Comment